Skip to main content

Bengali New Year and Baked Bekti fish in Banana leaf packet

My unaccounted for absence from nurturing my own blog is unpardonable. I am fully aware of my faults and follies. Even then, Bengali New Year is occasion enough to share my thoughts, my experiments in kitchen and then either feel good at my successes or be sad. But as I am celebrating Nabonbarsho, I am committed to feel happy and bring a wide green on your faces as well. These days I am training myself to create menus with sole consideration of the stockpile in my refrigerator and freezer. Hence, while struggling to imagine something new with the ordinary cuts of a whole bhetki fish, frozen and lying to get used up in my freezer, I decided to try out Bhetki r paturi in Convection mode. But, in Gurgaon, the erstwhile Gurugram, that Duryodhana had gifted his Guru Dronacharya, locating plantain plants is difficult. In these moments of true Bong crisis with food, I was desperate to hoot the one and only vendor selling in DLF...By the way he sells a leaf for Rs 75. Hence, ventured to basically acquire banana leaves, free of cost, with no ambition of being fairplay queen. Final product was yummy, heavenly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A No guilt comfort meal for #You...

When is the last time you cooked your favourite dish, and that too just for yourself? In my commitment to my #Putting Self First, I decided to cook some my style of streetfood chowmein , loaded with veggies, shredded chicken, and finished off with just a dash of Chilli vinegar. When you are a HomeCook, Home Chef or a even a complete amateur, your efforts are always directed towards mastering a dish, authentic , perfect its taste, accompaniment and of course the presentation...but somewhere down there on some grey days, you crave for some comfort food, some comfort taste, rustic, imperfect, yet that brings in a big smile on your face...Go for it. You deserve it and it deserves #You....so why delay...the next time you decide to cook dinner for family, do the honours and make your inner self happy...So Cheers !

Shubho Nababarsho 1421

Shubho Nababarsho 1421. This is one such day, almost all Bangalees around the globe remember the date from Bangla calendar. Though Poila Boishakh is not observed as a holiday anywhere outside Bengal, we , in our own small ways try to make the day stand out from the rest of the ones we live otherwise. This year on April 15, while we welcomed year 1421, tried to make the family dinner a little special. Made Dahiwalla meat. There are plenty of recipes on the net, finally drew inspiration from the one credited to Atul Sikand and adapted it to suit taste buds of my family. This dish scores very well on taste , colour and flavour but is very easy to cook. DAHIWALA MEAT MY STYLE Ingredients Mutton: 600 gms, preferably from leg, and with some bones Dahi : 250 gms; hung; beaten to smooth consistency Onion: 1 large, finely sliced Ginger paste: 1 and ½ tablespoon Garlic paste: 1 and ½ tablespoon Red chilli powder: 1 tablespoon(optional/ to taste) Garam masala p...

Happy Holi & RCI Bengal

Happy Holi. With Spring,( or may be summer)setting in, its time to type in my next post. Had there been an award for the most irregular blog, I am sure, there would have been no better contender than me. Jokes apart, Holi, Easter weekend being a specially lo....ooong one, got some mental space to do something beyond the regular daal-chawal fare. But please understand this is my first ever entry to RCI, or any other blog event. But just to celebrate Sandeepa's return from hibernation, decided to re-cast an old post of mine for RCI Bengal. For those like me, caught between priceless memories of childhood, or growing up days in Kolkata and the fast(er) paced mundane life in another megacity, this should bring back some memories. Some of you might have already tasted this wonder before, some have never. But, this dish is very special for me....as I cook this for my hubby and my son, who can drool over this, but I can not even taste it.... as I am very allergic to crabs. Fiery Hot Crab ...